Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dinner with Eric Tillman

My Dinner With ET

I had the pleasure last night after the Belmont Tire Rider Coaches Show on 620 CKRM to break bread with Eric Tillman. Circumstances being what they were, all my radio peers had to leave so I had ET to myself for 30-45 minutes during supper at The Press Box. It was a real treat as I don’t often get a chance to have a one-on-one conversation with the powers that be as my daytime job and my duties don’t really allow for a lot of time other then on game day. We shared a number of stories both football and non-football related. I did find out Eric is not a racing fan, but I believe he has an appreciation for the sport but is just not a fan. In fact he told me back in the day when he was younger he did go to a race and got such a bad sunburn it left him turned off (for lack of a better word). He has many friends, however, at home that are race fans. There are many things that I took away from my time with Eric, the least of which is how much he and Kent, along with the others, care about this team and winning. I am not blowing sunshine up ET’s butt here, nor am I blowing smoke up yours, if you get a chance to talk to him you will instantly know he cares and he takes this all very seriously. I also took away the fact that he and his family are enjoying themselves here. There have some challenges, sure, but I believe Eric has, as Tom Cochrane put it so very well, “ No Regrets”. I suggest again if you get a chance to speak with Eric to do so. Now he does not need a line-up outside his office a mile long nor does he need everyone and anyone monopolizing all of his time, but he is very personable and approachable. Much like he and Kent and the others look for a combination of a good player and a good person, I think we have found a great football mind and a great person. ET if you are reading this, I thank you so much for taking the time last night and look forward to hopefully another time we can do it again. People, THEY CARE!

One story/bit of information I will share from our chat is I suggest you watch the players during the national anthem. They have been told that the Canadian guys should be proud of the country you come from, and American guys be thankful for the country that has taken you in as a football player (and a part time and, in some cases, full time citizen.) I am not sure if this is a direct quote or not but ET said last year during the national anthem the boys were lined up “more crooked then an Alabama kid’s teeth”. Now you should see a straight line and a team singing for the country they play for. I wonder if Scott sings well? And if Jocelyn sings the anthem in French? One of the small but cool things the new powers that be have brought to this team and us the fans.

The one other thing I wanted to say today is that if there are people out there (and I know there are) that think losing Eddie Davis is not a huge deal, you really need to give the old noodle a shake. Sure they can replace his body with a player and that player can fill his role in regards to the physical play, but at this point no one has the mental ability of ED when it comes to this defence. Whoever fills in will do their best, but it will not be the same without #29 out there. And Yo Murphy was/is also a huge loss too; again some out there are thinking I'm off my nut saying that and that’s fine - think what you may - but it is. The great thing is that we should have both Eddie and Yo back for the stretch run and the playoffs, and that is awesome. And no, as one poster put, it I do not have Eddie Davis Eyes! Many of you know I am a huge ED fan but what I have said above is not admiration for one of my favourites its just the damn truth!

As this post was rolling around in my head I also thought to myself who are the 5 people I would most like to sit down and have a meal and a chat with. Although there really are many, here is the top five I came up with, in no particular order.

1- Robin Williams
2- Robert Deniro
3- Drew Barrymore (yes my editor knows : -) )
4- David Letterman
5- Gene Simmons

Not an earth shattering list, but five people I think would be cool to break bread with. Who are yours?

The results from the most recent poll:

Does Andy Fantuz Need To Sit For A Game?
No 38% (10 votes)
Yes 62% (16 votes)
Total voters for this poll: 26
New one is up now on the right hand side!

Today’s Lyrics

“I asked her why she couldn't make up her mind
She said "You don't understand I'd love to go,
but there's something you should know"
She showed me her wedding band”

Most of what Jo wrote about being a football wife is true… Most! Oh ya, the Belmont Tire Rider Coaches Show on 620 CKRM was awesome last night, if you missed it look for the archived version soon.

11 comments:

Wolf said...

Hey Joe;

Sounds like you had a great opportunity to visit with ET.

As you say in about a minute of conversation with ET you can see he is definitely very passionate and sincere about football and the Riders.

I went to practice today and Eddie Davis was out there with a sling on, but was giving Lance Frazier some one on one coaching which was good to see.

Eddie's presence may not be felt on the field directly, but he at least will still have some influence on the young guys out there.

I can't believe ET isn't a race fan...guess I'll be taking him off my Christmas Card list...j/k.

Did you talk him into trying the salt and pepper wings?

Take care and have a great one.

Phil

Anonymous said...

The 5 people I would most like to sit down with are:
Tony Stewart
Jon Bon Jovi
Reggie Hunt (I already have)
Sharon Osbourne
Jimi Hendrix

C

Anonymous said...

My five:
1. Nic Cage
2. Vincent D'Onofrio
3. Bill Clinton
4. Darrell Waltrip
5. Oprah Winfrey

Cause, yeah, like any of that will ever happen. Oh wait, I had a burger in my hand when I met DW. Does that count?

Jo

Anonymous said...

Another great read!Thanks for sharing that!I had an opportunity to briefely meet Eric after TC one day!As mentioned by Phil very passionate and sincere as well as friendly and willing to talk football with us fans!Couldn't agree more about Eddie!I heard a bit from Kent on CKRM Sports today and he (Kent) mentioned that Eddie will be on the sidelines and will be involved (mentally)with every game until he is back on the field!
My 5 favorites would be
Eddie Murphy
Marisa Tomei
Steven King
Brett Favre
Jack Abendschan
Would HAVE loved to have had the opportunity to meeet Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary!
Dave

rickyg said...

Wow a top 5 list to have a meal and hangout with. I can do that.
1) Drew Barrymore, and yep my wife knows.
2)Al Pacino
3)Adam Sandler
4)Kevin Smith
5)Bobby Cox and Chipper Jones. I figure if I'm somewhere that I can get one of them to sit down with me I have a good chance for both.
Most of that list is flexible except for Drew. She will always be at the top. Steve Earle would be cool to hangout with too. The stuff he's done and still bounced back from is incredible. Bill Gates would be cool too, but I'd probably just roll him and take his wallet after dinner, it would be payback for all the BSOD's that I've had to put up with.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Post Joe,

Eric always seems to say the right things in the media, but it is excellent to hear your perspective from an actual "outside the lines" sitdown.
The loss of Eddie will be very significant, hopefully Reggie and Tristan can help the defence get in the correct alignments...basically be the onfield coaches to help fill the void left by Eddies injury.
I am also a Yo Murphy supporter, bigtime, when he gets back he will hopefully provide a sure set of hands to complement Dominguez. Although I think Flick has made some exceptional plays his inconsistency is painful to watch.
5 people to break bread with:
1.) Don Narcisse 2.) Ron Hextall 3.) Bruce Willis 4.) Charlize Theron 5.) John Daly or Steve Elkington
I cheated a bit but either Daly or Elkington would be very colorful.

Keep up the great posts Joe.

Dustin

Anonymous said...

LOL on DW Jo. I was a foot away from Tony in Vegas and I was too shy to ask him to sign my jacket.
He was shooting craps and I didn't want to ruin his luck.

Evening out soon?

C

ps good job once again Radio Joe!

Wolf said...

I really enjoy to breaking bread with a "couple" of Rider and NASCAR fans... :-)

Phil

Racer said...

Phil

Maybe we can get him to another race, maybe in S'toon! And nope I neglected to mention them... I had em though :-)

C

Interesting list. Sharron was on Letterman last night, if we would have been in New York together we would have been in.

Dave

Also pretty cool list!

Rick

And no I am not just saying this to everyone, all the the lists have been cool.

Dustin

I have not had a chance to have a meal with Narco, but I have had a chance to interview him 2-3 times GREAT guy!

C

Night out again very soon.

ATA Boy Milt (see I can respect him) AWESOME drive and a great way to get it.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Geeze how come I am the only who doesn't get a reply? :-(

Jo

Racer said...

JO

Sorry I just assumed you were tired of listening to me live, you did not need to hear more from me electronically :-) And yes the burger counts.

Joe