Saturday, August 11, 2007

Back In Black

No, I am not talking about the third jerseys. Oh, and in case you missed it - Jim Hopson said retro jerseys soon!! Very cool. Hello, faithful readers of TRR! Sorry for the hiatus, but as you can see I am back.

On July 31st, my mom passed away and the funeral was this past Tuesday so I needed a bit of time off. As many of you know from reading TRR, my Dad had a big influence, as I am sure many others fathers do, on my love of the Riders. With that said, my Mom too was also a big fan as she and my dad had season tickets for, I believe, 25 years when they/we lived in Regina in the 50’s and 60’s. I miss her very much as I do my Dad, but I know they are in a better place and now will always have great seats for any Rider game.

With allof that happening, it sure was nice to see the boys pull off two big wins in that time period. This team, as I have said many times on the air over the past few weeks, really looks like a TEAM! And that is a great thing. Coach Austin has them ready to go for each game and seems to really have them focused; something maybe that has been lacking in the past few years. Part of the team success is the fact that when there has been injuries, there have been more than capable guys to fill in where needed. Again such a great thing. And what about the new guys? Wow - Cates, Flick, Smith, etc., great trades by Mr. Tillman. Not just great football players but good guys as well (from what I can gather in the brief conversations I have had with Flick and Wes). 5-2 looks very good right now and things I hope/feel will only continue to get better. I am sure there is a lot more in my head I could share, but I will not ramble. I don't think it is wrong for me to post this here this is from the CFL's Youtube page. Highlights from Fridays game:



If you have not seen it check out thier entire page, pretty cool stuff.

CFL YouTube

Thank you to all of you who knew what was going on and sent well wishes; on it meant a lot to me. I may not be back full force on here for awhile as work (the one that pays the bills) is still a bit insane right now, but I will try to have something for you as much as I can.

I am so glad to see The Riders succeeding for many reasons – let’s just keep rolling!!

I have updated the most recent Sportsline and Coaches’ show on the right hand side here for your listening enjoyment. I thank Rod and Willy for allowing me to host the two most recent Coaches shows. I do love talking Riders as some of you may have figured out by now. Don’t forget Sportsline Monday (guests to be named later; see Rod’s blog for who that will be) and Coaches’ Show Wednesday (again, see Rod’s blog). If you can’t make it live to the HUGE tilt between the Riders and the Eskimos Saturday at Mosaic, be listening to the mighty 620 CKRM starting at 5:30 P.M for The Touchdown Club with Mr. Poley and me (See my blog later in the week for who our guests will be). I will have an extra duty this game as well as Willy will be missing just his 4th game in 25 years and I will be patrolling the Rider sidelines Saturday night. I don’t get many opportunities to do that but man, I do love it! It is so loud down there, and I have no fear it will be insanely loud again this Saturday night.


The results from the most recent poll…

Does Being A Good Person As Well As A Talented Football Player Matter To You?

Yes 92% (34 votes)


No 8% (3 votes)


Total voters for this poll: 37
New one is up.

Today’s Lyrics
"You thought you'd found a friend
To take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace"

1st place baby!!!!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey joe, sorry to hear about your mother, lost my dad just this past November. anyways, read your post on Rod's blog. thanks for the response and there wasn't any problem with the call last night - i wasn't in the same room as the radio (sasktel max channel 804 on the tube), so by time i heard the next caller on my phone, i was too late getting back to the radio to hear what you had to say - everything is cool. I was wanting to hear what Rod had to say about it as well. I know Fantuz is trying to get his confidence back -I was questioning that because I think if any other player was there besides Andy - they would have been pushing Cates for a few more yards rather than watching him get tackled. Anyways, we'll see what happens. thanks again for responding.

dale

Wolf said...

Hey Joe;

Nice to see a new blog entry.

As you know we were so sorry to hear about your mom.

This great that you'll be on the sideline filling in for WC. Maybe Willy will deicide it's time to move onto something else on gameday and let you have those duties more frequently.

Man I was a tad nerous during the game on Friday, but then the boys turned up the heat again. I was nice to see them play the full 60 minutes.

Take care. You and Jo have a great weekend.

Phil

Racer said...

Dale

Thank you and again next time more time I promise. Andy I am sure will have a few eyes on him next weekend.

Phil

Thank you and thank you :) I am just glad they (CKRM) keep asking me to be around. The Riders really have been playing the full 60 as of late, and that is great to see.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post! Sorry to hear about your Mom!Let's hope the Team can bring home the Cup this season in memory of our departed folks!
Looking forward to hearing you on the Sidelines as well as on your regular shows next week and weekend!
Dave

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Day by U2.
Very nice choice today Joe.

Have fun on the sidelines. I know you love it. We just have to get Carm on board and have you coo-hosting In the Huddle.

See you Wednesday!

C

Anonymous said...

Joe:
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope all is well. Talk to you Saturday.

Mitch

PS: Make sure they send you to Toronto in November!!!!! You deserve that trip if a certain team makes it. You know I would love nothing more than to share a championship brew with you at some establishment in Hogtown.

Racer said...

C

Correct! And thank you. I do love doing the sidelines and to say the least am looking forward to it as I always do. Talk to Mr C would ya :) Remember though face for radio! Rod mentioned who we will have on Wednesday, but I will leave that to his blog.

Mitch

Thank you. I would be happy with just the team being there, but you know I would love to go. Note to self... start begging now. A championship brew would taste very sweet, I look forward to it my friend.

Joe

Wolf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hi joe my name is Robert Hadesbeck...just wondering if we are related as our last name is pretty rare...lol...my email is boredeleven@yahoo.com...thanks