Monday, August 13, 2007

The Perfect Storm

A caller to tonight’s Sportsline questioned why people would be saying it better be a sell-out this Saturday night. You can count me as one of them. It’s Edmonton, it’s a Saturday night, and it’s for first place. The team deserves 28.8k there screaming loud and proud. They are on a roll. I am sure there are many other reasons the Riders deserve a sell-out crowd, but I digress. There is no better way to spend a warm August night than watching a darn good football team we all call our team take on the hated (well at least by me and a few others) Eskimos. The caller to Sportsline stated (and I am paraphrasing) that this team should be playing to sell tickets next year, that people are still a little burned, for lack of the proper term, over the last few years. I disagree completely. NOW IS NOW and this team is hot. If you read my second blog entry ever, I stated this team should be selling out all of these early games this year. Heck, they’re even playing great now, so it’s a bonus. This team deserves 28.8 k screaming as they Bring ‘em out, Bring ‘em out, Bring ‘em out. I will be one of those screaming fans!

For the few race fans that frequent the old TRR, I apologize for the lack of content as of late. The chase is around the corner and I am sure my thoughts may turn to it a little more once it is upon us. How bout that Ron Fellows? 4th place yesterday! Way to go Ron. For those not into racing but that have read this far, Ron Fellows is a Canadian driver that in the last two weeks has gotten 4th place finishes in two big NASCAR races. Ron is not just a great racer but also a very nice man and I am very happy for his recent and deserved success.

Today’s Lyrics

“Five-bob job
She gets bubble-gum on her knees
Down between the seats
Sometime she'll pass you the keys”

1-888-4-riders !!!!

12 comments:

Wolf said...

Hey Joe;

Really looking forward to the game this Saturday evening.

It should be a barn burner. Even though the Esks are banged up you can bet they will be gunning for blood after their last loss at TF.

Go...Riders...Go!!!

Phil

Wolf said...

Oh ya this is a long shot but "Roxy Roller" by Sweeney Todd.

Phil

Anonymous said...

I shook my head when that caller said the team should be playing to sell tickets for next year. Typical bandwagon jumper IMO.

I loved your 'Perfect Storm' comment tonight. It put a smile on my face.

C
p.s. the water tastes wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Another great post!The Riders are the only Pro Sports Team in these parts!Why every game isn't sold out before the season even starts is beyond me!I just don't get it!
Trying to get into the oval track racing although the 1/4 mile is more my style :-))
Good luck on your sideline gig!
Will be listening for ya!
GO RIDERS!!!!!
Dave

rickyg said...

Damn I'm looking forward to Saturday. Like you said there is no better place to spend an August night than at Taylor Field. I love night games, trying to figure out where to put more lights on the costume right now. I fixed a computer this week and got paid in Rider beer tokens so I'm ready to rock. And seeing the beatup, limping Esks get kicked around will be sweet. I'm old and like everybody else over 35 the Esks are my most hated team. If you are reading this you probably have tickets already but if not get them in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

Very sorry to hear about your Mom's passing, sincerest condolences on your loss.

Won't be at the game saturday as I'll be getting married...damn CFL schedule. But there will be a hall full of Rider Priders checking out the TV...because the blackout will be lifted. The boys deserve a sellout and they will get one.

Dustin

Racer said...

Phil

Correct! and yes it will be a GREAT game this Saturday.

C
Every once in a while I put a good thought together eh :-) As I ahve said before I along with you and many others have been pulling this darn wagon for a while now, it may be a pretty damn big wagon by the end of the year. And good I hope you guys will enjoy it.

Dave

It is a head shakwe isnt it? I like all kinds heck even lawn mower racing but as you all have come to learn I am a bit off eh :-) Thank you and thank you for listening. I am not positive but I beleive next weekend (the weekend off for the boys) is Cruise weekend in Stoon if you can make it Dave it is three great nights and days of cars I love it. Oval on Friday at ACMS and Saturday night at SIR for the Nitro funny cars, Sunday the show and shine downtown. A great way to spend a weekend in Stoon.

Rick

So what your saying is we will be able to see you from space on Saturday. Beer tokens... Nice!

Dustin

Thank you. And congrats have a wonderful day. Make sure all of you wedding Rider Priders are cheering loud. I want a phone call on roundtable from the dance.


Thank you all so very much for your comments and your time spent checking out my little dog and pony show here.

Joe

Wolf said...

Okay...I've seen the dog,but where is the pony... ;-))

Phil

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe

Were you predicting the future when you titled your post "The Perfect Storm"? Saturday night against the Esks was amazing, and it was THE PERFECT STORM.

Wolf said...

Hey Joe;

Great job from the sidelines on Saturday night. You're a natural.

Phil

Anonymous said...

The Perfect Storm indeed!I agree with Phil!Great job on the sidelines!Nothing against Willie but imo your knowledge and Radio Voice are way better suited for that gig!I for one will be e-mailing CKRM recomending you get that gig full time!
Dave

Racer said...

Anon

For SK that was the perfect storm was it not :-)

Phil and Dave

Thank you guys! I really do enjoy doing it and I am glad that comes across.

Joe