Thursday, July 12, 2007

Our Balls Are Bigger

Well not literally anymore, but I think we still have a superior game to the NFL. Here it’s not about hype or pomp and circumstance. Yes, I know in a number of NFL cities it is not either, but I think a lot of the time it is. I know we are a small league that has really had its ups and downs over the decades, but with the downs the CFL made it through I think is as strong as it ever was. I know the players seem bigger, stronger, faster now, but are they really? Again, sure, there are elite players in the NFL that are the cream of the crop but with that said, they can’t all be superstars. Ricky Williams is a perfect example of that. He was ok here, but if I remember correctly there were thoughts from some Canadian NFL and all American NFL fans that he would get 4000 yards last year. We all know that did not happen, and even if he wouldn’t have gotten hurt, it still would not have happened. For me it’s all about the game itself: wide open, bigger field, the 20 second clock vs. 40 (who in the heck in their right mind thought you should be allowed darn near a minute to get a play off?) Imagine if the NFL ever went to a 20 second clock. My number one reason why we’re better is no fair catch and those that have listened to me or read this blog know I am a special teams fan. Who isn’t really? How can you not be, because when it’s exciting it really is exciting. The players here are great guys, not to say the NFLers are not, but the boys in the CFL are really and truly just working class guys that get to do the thing they love for x amount of months in the summer and fall. Not all games in the CFL are fantastic “too close to call” games but many more are than aren’t, and I for one love it. NFL lover’s flame away, I don’t care, because in the end our balls are better.

As of 2:00 PM this afternoon (Thursday) there were 24.6 k tickets sold, Not bad but not great - get out there folks and talk those non-believers into coming to the game!

TD club will hit the airwaves at 5:30 PM tomorrow with Mr. Poley and me. We have colour man for the Lions, Giulio Caravatta scheduled to be on, as well as Frenzy and a couple of his long time friends and Rider fans including John Lipp (a past President of the Club). He will be on to talk about the Plaza of Honour as he is the Rider executive’s representative on the Committee. Plus, we always seem to have a few unexpected guests stop by, so if you can please tune us in on the mighty 620 CKRM. If you have a chance, stop by the tent on the practise field and say hello.

The Riders leading Receiver In 07 Will Be
Armstead, Jason 20% (5 votes)


Dominguez, Matt 56% (14 votes)

Fantuz, Andy 0% (0 votes)

Flick, D.J. 24% (6 votes)



Total voters for this poll: 25

New poll/question is up


Today’s Lyrics

“I'm rather upper class high society
God's gift to ballroom notoriety
I always fill my ballroom
The event is never small”

As I type this its 5:51 PM got to go watch the glue factory get taken out by the boatmen. (Editor’s Note: That lasted exactly 4.23 minutes and he was snoozing in his recliner)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I do enjoy watching the NFL (been a Packers fan as long as I can remember)to me the CFL is the better league (game).If only we could get a CFL version of the Arena League!
Looking forward to another Edition of TD Club, Roddy's Play by Play and The Riders Roundtable!
Looking forward to another great game tonight watching our Team TAME the Lions!
My Jersey is at the shop getting a # 3 put on it ( gotta help the new guys feel at home not to mention that DJ is one heck of a receiver)!
GO RIDERS!!!!!
Dave

Wolf said...

Hey Joe;

Looking forward to anotheredition of TD Club and Roundtable.

See ya on the practice field. Cathy is going to have me leave real early to make sure I get there on time this go round... :-)

Phil

Anonymous said...

So, your poll says Votes for This Poll 25 but only 20 people voted?

Racer said...

Dave

I would like to see an arena league as well. Thank you as always for the kind words.

Anon

There is a bit of space between them but there are some votes for JA as well. So it is 25.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks